See my update to this post with new crowdfunding sites for authors.
To answer the question of whether fiction writers and non-fiction writerscan get projects funded on Kickstarter, I looked at some recent projects that met their funding goals:
- A limited release art book
- A personal photo album
- A book of photos about the meaning of life for atheists with commentary
- A “Snicketesque” girl-power adventure in 186 London for ages 8-12
- A book/CD/DVD production
- A coffee table book of photos
- A memoir of the author’s life with his semi-famous(?) brother – self publishing expenses
Some of the funding requests included amounts for
- technical editing, adding illustrations, images, formatting cover
- print and production costs
- paying an editor, designer, formatting for print, getting initial copies printed and marked.
- Travel to do research for the book
Just to give you an idea of how easy it is to get funded, this project description received full funding:
“A heart-wrenching story. I have written a book. It’s pretty good. You should buy it.”
I swear that’s all that was on the page. And it got fully funded. I wouldn’t suggest trying this, but you never know.
Most project requests include a video and a web page/blog. You will need to create something enticing and different to get your reader’s attention. Kickstarter takes a percentage of what you raise. If you don’t meet your goal, you don’t get any money; that is, contributors don’t have to pay if you don’t meet your goal.
Indiegogo, on the other hand, has a flexible funding option which allows you to keep all contributions, even if you don’t reach your goal.
While Kickstarter seems to be the site that has the most creative projects, like writing, you might want to check out Indiegogo or some others on this Forbes list of the top 10 crowd funding sites.
Related: Blogger Miranda Marquit on why she wouldn’t use crowdfunding again
If you enjoyed this article and want to learn about more amazing women, Join the Women Adventurers Club and receive a Timeline of Women Adventurers, updates when I publish new articles, and information about upcoming events and giveaways.